Turf Special is a natural soil blend with a medium texture that is suitable for use as a turf underlay.
Turf Special has been designed for the growing needs of turf grasses such as buffalo, couch and kikuyu. Useful for any size project from domestic to commercial, the medium consistency of Turf Special ensures easy spreading, accurate levelling and superior soil to root contact for new turf.
Turf establishment and growth is enhanced with underlays containing added organic matter. GO Compost™ is included in Turf Special to provide organic nutrients, increase water holding capacity and enable greater root establishment. This reduces the reliance on artificial fertilisers and irrigation which relatively inert sand-based underlays may require. Another quality product in the SOILCO range, Turf Special is certified to A4419:2018 Soils for Landscaping and Garden Use.
- Medium consistency for easy spreading and accurate levelling.
- Superior soil to root contact.
- Reduced bulk density gives greater coverage than sand-based mixes, giving a price advantage.
- Suitable for most lawn types including soft leaf buffalo, kikuyu, couch.
- Turf Special has been approved for use on RMS R178 projects.
Used for passive amenity turfing in all domestic and commercial situations including:
- Home gardens.
- Parks and public amenity areas.
- Quality base for hydroseeding.
- Can be used as an economical levelling material for commercial and industrial areas.
Note: The larger particle size makes Turf Special unsuitable for use as a top dress for urban projects.
- Care should be taken to remove existing vegetation including weeds.
- Ground should be cultivated and not left as a hard base. This will allow turf roots a greater depth to penetrate and establish.
- Apply a minimum of 50mm or depth required to get the desired level. Turf Special can be installed up to 300mm if necessary.
- Water well to ensure turf is laid on a moist surface. Lawn start fertiliser can be applied at this time if required. Nutrients such as nitrogen may need to be applied depending on turf growth requirements. Contact your turf grower for recommendations.